Tuesday, June 18, 2013

40 Days of Prayer - Tuesday, June 18 - Devotion 22 - Good Gifts

Good Gifts

Matthew 7:11 - If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!

Psalm 34: 8-10 - Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good!  Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!   Oh, fear the Lord, you his saints, for those who fear him have no lack!
 The young lions suffer want and hunger; but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.


Upon first reading of these Scriptures, it may seem our Father has some Santa Claus attributes where He is willing to give whatever we ask in prayer.  However, the verses say He gives good things and that His children lack no good thing.  Our Father’s view from Heaven allows Him to know what is good.  He knows what gifts will draw His children to Himself and what will bring Him glory, honor, and praise.  His good gifts may be illness or disappointment or a loss of job and they can be finding a job or encouragement or health.  When we pray in accordance with His will, we should feel confident that His deep love for His children and His name will only allow good things to be given.

Those who seek and trust Him have all the things necessary to serve and bring Him glory.  We lack nothing good.  Therefore, if there is something we want and the Lord hasn’t provided it after we have asked with right motives, then that thing must not be good.  Knowing we have what He considers good should result in contentment in our lives.  The Word teaches us to be content in all circumstances.  Without contentment, we become influenced by our desires for things we do not have and James 1 says our desires are what lead us to sin.

Praise Him today for all things He has given regardless of whether they seem good in our own understanding.  Trust Him to know what is good.    

1 comment:

  1. God has been teaching me this lesson lately: that I be content in Him regardless of circumstances. I may have much from the world's perspective or I may have little (and I have had seasons of each). If my focus is that of the world, I will be discontent regardless of which season I'm in. If my hope is in the Lord, I will remain content.

    Philippians 4:11-13 (NASB):
    11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. 12 I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. 13 I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

    ReplyDelete